What Is Hair Transplant?
Hair transplantation is a surgery type to fill a thin haired or bald area by moving your hair follicles from a bushy area of your head.
This operation is performed by American doctors since fifties. However, in recent years the techniques have changed a lot.
This operation should be done in an adequate clinic. First, the surgeon cleanses the scalp and injects drugs to numb the back of your head.
Hair Transplantation Techniques
Your doctor will choose one of two methods for hair transplantation:
- Follicular unit transplantation (FUT)
- Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE)
FUT Hair Transplant
In the FUT hair transplant method, the surgeon removes a 6-10-inch skin strip from the back of your head and closes the scalp in the area and hides it immediately with the hairs around it.
Then the surgical team separates the removed scalp strip into 500 or 2,000 fine grafts, each with several hairs. The type and number of grafts we receive depends on your hair type, quality, color and size of the area we are transplanting.
FUT hair transplantation is an is an old method that we do not apply anymore.
FUE Hair Transplant
In the FUE hair transplant procedure, the surgical team will first shave the hair behind your head. The doctor will then remove the hair follicles one by one. This area will heal in small spots and will be covered by your existing hair.
After this point, both operations are the same. After preparing the grafts, the surgeon cleans and numbs the area where the hair will be transplanted. It creates holes or crevices with a scalpel or needle and gently places each graft into one of the holes. He will probably get help from other team members to place the graft.
How long does the operation take?
Depending on the size of the transplant, the procedure takes about 4 to 8 hours.
Will one operation suffice?
If your hair continues to fall out, or if you want more frequent hair, you may need another treatment later.
When can the second operation be performed?
You can have another FUE hair transplantation one year later.
Advantages of FUE hair transplant procedure
- Virtually invisible scars
- Minimal pain after the procedure
- Less recovery time needed
- Ensures a natural-looking hairline
- Less risk of complications
Hair Transplant Before and After
Before and after hair transplantation, which is a surgical operation, you will not encounter unexpected results if the details that have been explained to you by your doctor have been paid attention to.
Getting Ready For Hair Transplantation
One week before hair transplantation; blood thinners such as Aspirin, all food supplements and vitamins should be discontinued. Do not use painkillers for 1 week before the procedure. Be sure to inform us beforehand if you have any existing diseases or medicines you need to take.
- Do not use herbal beverages and products such as herbal teas, detox drinks in the last week.
- Stop drinking alcohol 5 days before the procedure.
- Stop smoking at least 1 week before hair transplantation. And after the procedure, do not smoke for at least 2 weeks. Smoking causes graft loss and reduces the likelihood of graft retention.
- Come to the operation with your hair washed.
- Do not apply chemical products such as lotion, jelly, conditioner to hair.
- Do not cut your hair. We'll cut your hair after the examination and concert the plan.
- On the operation day, wear comfortable and easy-to-wear clothes with front buttons or zippers. Do not choose sweaters or t-shirts.
- No problem with having a light breakfast or eating before the operation.
- After 6-9 hours of hair transplantation process, including the preparation phase, you can go home/hotel.
Healing Process After Hair Transplant
After surgery, your scalp can be very delicate and thin. You may need to take painkillers for a few days. Your surgeon will allow you to wear bandages on your scalp for at least one or two days. He will also give you an antibiotic or an anti-inflammatory medication to take for a few days. Most people can return to work 2 to 5 days after surgery.
Within 2 to 3 weeks after surgery, the transplanted hair will fall off, but within a few months you will begin to see they grow again. Most people see 60% of new hair growth after 6 to 9 months.
After Hair Transplantation
After the procedure, you should rest for 3 days, tiring and heavy work should be avoided.
- For the first 3 days, any contact of the hair transplantation area with the sunlight should be avoided. A soft fabric hat that will not bother your head should be used in case you need to go out.
- In order to prevent damage to the donor and transplant areas after hair transplantation, clothes with wide collar or buttons or front zipper are preferred.
- Plenty of water should be consumed. It will be beneficial not to consume tea, coffee and cigarettes during the first 3 days.
- When sleeping after hair transplantation, lie on your back and if possible, a travel pillow (or rolled towel) should be placed under the neck. You can lie on the donor area. Protect the transplanted areas and prevent contact with the pillow. Preferably lie on your back and head slightly above.
- It will be helpful to keep your head upright as much as possible so that the edema from the operation will reduce quickly.
- After hair transplantation, the medicine we have prescribed and the recommended lotion and shampoos should be used properly.
- The day after hair transplantation, the donor area will be dressed. Bring all the medicines with you.
- Depending on your condition, the first wash will be held on the 2nd or 3rd day. After the first one, you will wash your hair once a day for the next 15 days, using plenty of water and without any pressure.
- During the wash, firstly, pour the lotion we gave you to cover all grafts on your head. Wait 10 minutes for the shells to soften. Then, foam the shampoo in your hands, put/pour it on your head and rinse your hair. Do not rub.
- In ten days following hair transplantation, the shells caused by the process must have been peeled off. If there are any shells left, you can remove them with the help of massage during washing.
- The donor area will recover completely within 10-15 days.
- Do not use hairspray or jelly for 1 month.
- Do not do sports or sweating activities for 15 days. You can start light sports after 15 days. Wait at least 1 month for sports that are en masse or requiring head contact.
- After the 1st month, you can swim in the sea/pool. Do not be exposed to direct sunlight for at least 1 month and do not enter the solarium, either.
- Sauna, spa and bath(hammam) are free from the first month.
- Transplanted hair will be fallen off within the first month. It will regrow from the 3rd month. It will take 1-1.5 years for all your hair to grow.
- One month after transplantation you can have your hair cut. For the first 3 months, do not use the machine for hair cut but scissors. After 3 months the machine can also be used.
Hair Transplant Cost in Turkey
The price of hair transplantation depends largely on the amount of hair transplanted. Most insurance policies do not cover treatment.
We have the best and most experienced team of doctors specializing in hair transplantation in Turkey. All FUE technical hair implant treatments are applied in a modern and prestigious clinic in the center of Istanbul.
With a 100% satisfaction guarantee, we offer the most effective procedure that delivers amazing and fast results. Take a look at our all-inclusive hair transplantation packages and we'll take care of everything.
Hair Transplant Side Effects
As with any surgery, the transfer process has some risks, such as bleeding and infection. There is also the possibility of scarring and unnatural new hair growth.
When new hair begins to grow, some people develop inflammation or infection of the hair follicles called folliculitis. Antibiotics and compresses can resolve this problem. It is also possible to suddenly lose some of the original hair in the area of the new hair called shock loss. But often it is not permanent.
Talk to your doctor about these risks and how likely you are to recover from surgery. It can help you decide if it is a good option for you.
Who is a good candidate for hair transplantation?
Although the growing popularity of hair transplantation has successfully demonstrated that more and more people are improving their baldness and hairline, the truth is that; There are more prerequisites than being bald to become a good candidate for the procedure.
Baldness is an important factor, but there are many things surgeons and patients need to keep in mind to ensure that this is the right procedure and will deliver the desired results.
Some of the key elements that may affect candidates are listed below:
- Hair Loss Type
- Assessment of Hair Loss
- General Health
- Hair Type
Effects of age on hair transplantation
Although there is no age limit for hair transplantation, the age factor still plays a role, and ideally the best candidates are those over 30 years of age.
Some candidates may start to lose their hair at a very young age and may want to have treatments as soon as possible. However, young patients still experience immature hair loss in their early twenties and may not have a full understanding of how this will progress with age. If they receive treatment at a young age, they may need additional treatments later in life to combat hair loss further.
Hair Loss Type
The best candidate for hair transplantation in men or women are those who suffer from male pattern baldness. This is a genetic condition that affects specific areas of the scalp, but not all over the scalp, and patients are present at a good level of donor hair follicles. In contrast, hair transplantation is not recommended for un-patterned alopecia patients because hair transplantation will likely not lead to successful transplantation and will result in loss of time and money.
Assessment of Hair Loss
The extent of hair loss in patients and the amount of healthy hair available for transplantation will play an important role in making that person a good candidate. In order to transfer hair from one area of the scalp to the affected areas, it must be a source of good and healthy hair roots.
Determining whether you are a good candidate by assessing the level of hair loss and the quality and quantity of donor hair is an important part of the hair transplant process.
The importance of your general health status in hair transplantation
Since hair transplantation is a surgical procedure, you must be generally healthy to become a good candidate. Doing regular exercise, eating a healthy diet, taking care of yourself and making a good lifestyle choice will work to strengthen your immune system. This will help to shorten the healing time after hair transplantation, as your body will have better equipment needed to heal faster.
Also, if you suffer from any long-term health problems, you should make sure that your surgeon is fully aware of them.
Does Hair Type affect hair transplantation?
Interestingly, the type of hair you have can also make a difference. Although hair transplantation is possible in every hair type, the thicker your hair, the better it is to close the bald areas. Similarly, curly or wavy hair provides a better closure in areas affected by baldness.
Frequently asked questions
Does hair transplant leave scars?
There won’t be any scar. Donor area and recipient area will heal without scar.
How long does the procedure take?
The procedure takes about 6-8 hours depending on the number of grafts transplanted, number and width of areas treated. The first half of the operation consists of graft harvesting. After maximum number of grafts are harvested, the team gives a break to get prepared for the second stage. During this break the patient rests and has lunch.
Is the procedure done under general or local anesthesia?
Local anesthesia and mild sedation is enough for FUE hair transplant. Local anesthesia starts with needleless injection. When initial numbness is obtained, more local anesthetic is injected with needles.
Can I cut my hair before the procedure?
You can but we prefer to see your hair style, hair direction and density before the procedure. Therefore, it is better to leave the haircut to us.
Is it needed to stop using Rogaine or Finasteride before hair transplantation?
These medicines help to improve the blood circulation of the hair roots. If you want, you can use but not necessary.
When should I stop taking aspirin?
You should stop taking aspirin, herbal teas, vitamins and all kinds of dietary supplements at least 7 days before the operation. Because they all have blood thinning potential and makes the operation more difficult for you and us.
What are the regulations for alcohol consumption? Should I stop drinking before the procedure and/or after?
It is better to stop alcohol consumption 3 days before the operation to prevent more bleeding. Alcohol is free 2 days after operation.
What is the effect of smoking on hair transplantation?
One cigarette interferes with the blood circulation of the hair roots at least 24 hours. Especially in the first 15 days after the operation blood circulation of the hair bearing skin is crucial for the survival of the transplanted hair roots. Therefore, we recommend quitting smoking 1 week before the operation and not to smoke at least one month after the operation. These recommendations are for increasing the number of surviving hair roots and getting a better result. The more you smoke, the smaller number of hair roots will survive.
I take several medications. Do I need to stop taking them before my procedure? How long before?
Please ask them to us before booking the operation date.
Is there a specific age to have a hair transplant?
No. However best candidates are over 30.
What is the recovery time after the hair transplant?
We recommend resting the night after the operation. The next day we remove the dressing on the donor area. Most of the patients spend the day out after dressing change. But it is better to give yourself some time to heal. Please don’t forget that this is an operation and you need some time for full recovery.
Most of our patients return to work 7 days after operation.
When will I see the results of hair transplant?
All the transplanted hair will fall off in one month following the operation. They will begin to regrow in 3-6 months depending of the area. You will see the final result in one year.
Is there a guarantee on the procedure?
Sure. If you are not satisfied with the result, we can repeat the procedure.
But this guarantee is not valid for patients who require huge number of grafts and patients who lose their existing hair in time. These patients may need a second operation in the following years to obtain a batter result.
I live out of Turkey; do you pay for travel expenses?
No. But all transfers here are provided by us.
Do you provide a hotel room for after the procedure? How many nights?
Yes. One night before and done night after hotel accommodation is enough for basic hair transplant operation (2 nights). But if you prefer to have the first hair wash made by us, you should stay 2 night more (4 nights).
When can I return to work after my hair transplant?
Will there be any bruising after the procedure?
Most of the patients have almost no bruising and swelling after the operation. However, patients with sensitive and thin skin may have some bruising. It lasts about 5-7 days.
I have heard that all the transplanted hair will fall off and then grow back. Is this what happens?
Yes. They fall out in the first month after operation and they regrow between 3-6 months.
Can I use Rogaine after my hair transplant?
Yes, you can. It improves blood circulation in the hair bearing skin.
When can I cut my hair after having a procedure?
You can cut the transplanted hair one month after the operation. It is crucial to use scissors in the first 3 months. You can use machine after 3 months.
There is no limitation for hair cut in the other areas of the head.
Resources & Further Readings: